The Kanamai Development Trust became a registered Charity in 2010 (Charity Commission Number 1135759). Our objective is to assist the local community, in the extremely poor Kanamai District of Coastal Kenya, by providing: Free Education, Sanitation, Clean drinking water, Basic Healthcare, and Employment.
By assisting in these ways, we hope to enable some of these lovely people to escape the cycle of poverty, by obtaining a job or a career and so becoming financially independent. This is a very, very big “ask”.
The Charity has 3 major spheres of activity: the Little Angels Nursery and Primary School at Mabambani; the Clinic, situated at the School; and the Bomani Farm. In addition, wells and toilet blocks have been constructed in a number of villages.
The charity focuses on three areas – the Little Angel Academy, the Clinic and the Farm.
Examples of achievements of the charity include:
- Building of a double classroom, staff room, small kitchen and clinic
- Paying salaries of 7 teachers, caretaker and janitor
- Provision of two meals a day for children
- Resurfacing of the playground, and provision of swings
- Purchase of 120 pairs of sandals to stop the children getting parasites in their feet
- Provision of medicines, including childhood medicines, to be prescribed for those who need them
- 150 patients seen and treated by a UK doctor during 5 weeks spent in Kenya
- First two minor operations carried out in the clinic, with the help of a local surgeon at no cost, apart from the drugs
- Other patients seen and sent off for further tests or procedures
- Chicken coop started
- Well completed, and three further wells upgraded
- Bicycles supplied to enable workers to travel to work easily
- The land produced enough crops for families and ability to sell to others
See the below presentation for more information on the work at Little Angels School.